The Travels of Jonathan Shidler

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ohhh Headington--!


So, I live in this little town called Risinghurst on Kiln Lane (yes, that Kiln Lane) literally 5 houses down from CS Lewis' home 'The Kilns'

aside from that, just down the street lies the marvelous shark of headington.
now, I had not known earlier of the status of the famous shark of anti nuclear action and art. But it truly looks as though someone punched it through the roof, so much so that a kind family of pidgons are residing in the top level of the home, complete with their pidgony mess and nests.

as for the state of the town, cold is the buzz word for us Americans staying in the local homes and cottages, cold but lacking snow of any significance. How a climate can get below Zero Celsius and precipitation on a regular basis, yet retain that snow is rare is a phenomenon of serious consequences to my ability to contain frustrations at the climate.

not only did I just escape a moist-wet cold atmosphere of an unusual winter in Redlands with dips into the 5c and below temperatures or sometimes unusually warm spikes of 22c at random through out the course of 8 days or so-- no more. Where my newly adapting and resituating body chemistry was preparing for spring's cool embrace with flowers and fields to be observed in golden splendor was tricked and befuddled with mixings of hot and cold, but never temperate-- naye, but once temperate with a nice 12-18c day blue skies too boot.

alas, the moist seeps through the layers of clothing, through the nylon-cotton, silk, the wool, and the cotton again. With the tips of my fingers to suffer as the cold bites at their being and makes me clumbsy with delicate things of writing and key handling. Save only for thick snow built gloves that clash both in fashion and in ability to maintain regulation with the need to constantly utilize the builtin blow buttons to add warm breath into the vents that warm my finger tips.

this cold is to pass in time in a week or so the cold front will have left the island nation and rain can be of no bother to me as it was in the Californian landscape months before where a shirt and a covering were all that was needed to maintain face.

courses at Oriel College have been enlightening as well as bolstering of my fabric, pitching a tent of self sufficiency of thought and confidence in mind. As tutorials go about I find that theatre courses are more experience and research based than expected and political science (which, go hand in hand.) allows me to speak my mind-- much to the dismay of my sister who has found the music collection here quite to her liking


and really, that has made all the difference.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home