The Travels of Jonathan Shidler

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Here comes the (t)rain

Ah English weather.

just as the cold and bitter winds pass as the first day of spring entered almost as quickly if a chapter in a book had turned. The first paragraph of this spring chapter was not merely into its first sentence when the rains of England had greeted me and joined with me in my mile walks to the bus stop in Headington-- because heavens know that Risinghurst deserves no bus stop that is effective at all.

in my notation of public transport, I have discovered, despite all its errs, Los Angeles has a more cost friendly and commendable train system from the outskirts to the inner city areas (IE San Bernardino to Hollywood) for a much more reasonable price.

now, seeing as exchange rates are still in place, and the value still shifts. I will use the great example of the cost of food. And not just any food, but stadium food.

for the cost of two dodger dogs, or a Chipotle Burrito with Soda and an extra little thing of salsa (8.50 USD or around 5.20GBP). One can get a return (two way) ticket from San Bernardino to Hollywood (around 80miles, or 120km)
this includes a day pass on the LAMETRO system of buses and underground railways.

conversely, the cost of a trip to London from Oxford (51miles, or 87km) via train
2 large strawberries with creme at wimbly, or 4 creme teas at Queen Street Coffee (oldest coffee house in the world) (12GBP or around 21.50USD)
for a single (one way) to London. Standard seating. No day pass for the underground whilst in London. Nor buses.
4 large strawberries with creme at wimbly, or a nice meal for a you and a lady friend that you met at lecture and want to woe (at the beef eater, one of the better restaurants in England, but English food will be another subject entirely) (24GBP or around 40USD)
for a return (two way) to London and if you have a student card, that's right, no underground daypass.

Now, often I hear "California has such a horrible public transportation system, we should emulate the Europeans" to which I simply state "Nein Herr Dummkopf" or as the Spanish would say "No SeƱor Pendejo" and I abstain from the French due to the French to English dictionary I have is on strike.

now that I think about it, the librarians are on strike here in England, as with the city mantiance union, and the civic workers as well. All over their pention schemes that are becoming insolvent.

fortunately, my umbrella, English-made by London Fog (which I have yet to experience in my adventures here) has not failed me like theParisiann system of society (which mind you her majesty's foreign office has, as of 5 days ago declared "UNSAFE" for travelers) and at the cost of the train system, I doubt that they will be striking any time soon.

1 Comments:

  • Hardly a day passes that I don't thank my bravehearted Scottish and Irish ancestors for making the voyage west! I think that's why the Euros are so snide to us, they are just plain jealous!!! USA! USA!

    By Blogger PhilippinesPhil, at 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home