The Travels of Jonathan Shidler

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Ah, no place like-- well, not quite home

we have returned from the whirlwind tour of europe, and have found england to finally have warmed up. and as Phil has pointed out-- not much has changed in the past 60 years in europe.

the germans are delightful and bring kind heart warming thoughts
the french are angry... just angry. and they 'won' the war.
the belgians are, well, disapointing but none the less, our brothers in arms (that armada was built for something.)
and the dutch are the canadians of europe. just so darn nice.

but aside from this, spring has made itself known in england, with flowers abound, and no longer a need for my coat to stay clasped to my body. although I* will miss the pocket space it provided for my things.

*by "I" I mean "my sister who loads many a thing on me due to her refusal to wearing cargo pants or pants with any form of pocket space, but also refuses the insecure form of a purse in which I am in a limbo state of opinion"

I realized why the stories of tulips are so exorbiant, in that they are just that gosh darn pretty. pretty enough to sell a whole castle for 12 of them? perhaps not. but still, almost worth the 12 british pound sterling for a bulb, coincidence at the number patern? I think not.

I found out that it is superstition here that tree blossoms are bad luck to have indoors, so the nice hosts of my sister who I thought I was bringing cheer and love and life into by bringing the fruit of spring in to her home. was in fact a symbol of death and proverbial house rape to which my sister gave me a scolding.

funny, van gogh once said that blossoms are rarely frowned upon and admired by all when he did his orchard series and the almond blossom painting for his nephew's birth.

I suppose it is a brit thing to have a distaste for them.

well, now I know. now I know.

1 Comments:

  • Heya JNathan.

    My French brother-in-law is visiting. I asked him how France was and he said sadly, "France is NO more! He lives and has a store in Paris, so you probably know what he is talking about. He got roughed up pretty good by the riots. And yep, THAT makes him very angry, but I like him. He's headstrong, but a very sweet, very gracious fella.

    The Brits find distaste in lots of things. I got a laugh at how they abused poor David Blaine a while back when he performed one of his stunts in London. I think David learned his lesson about the "limeys," bunch of unappreciative punks! By the way, I love his feats of mind over matter. I hope he stays in the US where people appreciate him!

    Keep providing the young American perspective on Europe J. I meet lots of Euros over here, some of them are simply insufferable, but most of them are pretty damn nice folk, especially the Dutch!

    By Blogger PhilippinesPhil, at 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home